Preview Weekend Impressions......

Go down

Preview Weekend Impressions......

Post  Rect on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:45 pm

I was only able to play about 4 hours this weekend unfortunately.......but in that 4 hours checked out about 9 different toons. Very positive first impressions of the game. Enjoyed the public quests, really liked how the quests led you into PVP scenarios (even if I had no idea what each scenario was about) and truly enjoyed the multiple ways you could choose to level your toon (solo quests, public quests, RVR scenarios, open RVR....etc).

Didn't particularly enjoy the combat mechanics (agree with the common complaints about sluggishness) and low level tank dmg was brutal (though I'm sure with proper gear/spec's etc melee combat isn't all bad). At least at the lower levels.....casters were much more fun to play for me - particularly enjoyed the Shaman and the Sorceress. For melee toons the Witchhunter and Marauder were also quite fun.

Overall......I was not disappointed. This game feels much more like "the one" than Vanguard, AOC, LOTRO or any other game that's come out since WoW to me.

How about you guys - what'd you think?

Rect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Preview Weekend Impressions......

Post  Badar on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 am

I agree with you on most parts, the game definitely felt good and entertaining. It had a lot of GREAT components which made it fun and diversity so not feeling like always doing the same thing to advance. We'll see if it holds as long term leveling potential but at the moment even playing several alts to test I never felt bored and like I was repeating myself through all the newbie areas.

As for the combat, I actually preferred the combat. I liked how it felt more like strategy needed. I really appreciated the fact in RvR combat was slow and you had time to plan other things out or a change in events as needed. Just my take on it but it felt better then 'hey, I see someone... Let me sneak up on them and 3 shot them inside 6 seconds' type of play. What can I say, I'm getting old and like to have more time to think about my fights I suppose. affraid

I did post a considerable amount more on my thoughts (read: print and take on your next couple crapper runs cause it's long) over in the Guild channel here on the boards. All-in-all I am looking very forward to the game's release and getting some time to play it with the gang. See you there!

Badar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ganlek on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:11 am

The combat slowness took a bit to get used to though. For a while there i was mashing buttons hoping it would go faster...but alas it did not. Poor buttons...

I think RVR was great for combat. It sometimes took a lot to kill someone (like my runecaster lol), even with just a few healers, it seemed you needed to be well coordinated. I didn't feel that it was just mass chaos, but more of a targeted means to an end.

I was really hoping to take the group on a Keep run. THAT was fun! And a bitch! The keep lord is a brute with billions of hit points. Though, for siege weapons, there are specific spots you can put them, which is kinda dumb. And if the keep is yours, you can destroy them spots (which lasts like 1min maybe), so they cant put any weapons there. We used a battering ram, which was interesting. You basically can have up to 4 people using it, and when its pushed back, you have to hit your mouse closest to 100% as you can. if you go over or under, then its flubbed and you don't do as much damage. And, that is all you are doing, you can hear the battle behind you, but you cannot attack without getting out of the Siege weapon "Screen". Much like the cannons or ballistas you use when you are in the noob zones
Ganlek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sheibeck on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:05 am

I alos enjoyed the slower (sluggish?) combat. Part of that sluggish-ness is actually being addressed and had more to do with a UI glitch than actual sluggishness. The devs said the GCD was 1.4 seconds, but the UI refresh weirdness made it appear to be 2.0 seconds. That combined with some error messages about "that ability is not ready yet" should be cleaned up for release and they are working on it now. That will help those sluggishness issues to seem not quite so sluggish.
sheibeck
Admin

View user profile http://lorekeepers.mmorpgheroes.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Calatius on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:11 pm

<cough> Some of us have been playing longer than preview weekend <cough>

I really enjoyed the fact that you can get xp in different ways, rather than "go grind the mobs". That's actually the best selling point to me...

I especially liked how we (the 4 LK that played this weekend) devastated the first scenario with the "We'll go take the other side after they move to the middle" strategy. It worked for about 10-20 games (at least that's what it felt like).
I can see how strategies will play a big part in the future. That was only scenario 1...

Also placement makes a huge difference. for instance, if you cast/shoot, and are on a stairway, forget about it. Prepare to run yourself to the top of the stairwell and draw all the aggro if you want a piece of the action.

and pathing... they really, really need to fix this. I tested a surfboard animist this weekend, and I could nuke it down... before it even moved, or found its way to me. While I'm glad I could kill without getting beat to a magus pulp, I need the "ON MEE!!!!" macro to annoy my warband... =)

all in all, great game, and I look forward to whipping you all to lvl 40 =)
Calatius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sheibeck on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Devs already posted that the pathing issue was a bug that got introduced for the PW and wasn't there before. It should be gone for beta. Yeaaaaay.

Most of the big issues during PW are addressed by a Dev here http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1190537#post1190537
sheibeck
Admin

View user profile http://lorekeepers.mmorpgheroes.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum